View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 AM   #1676 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Hey Cyruscosmo! Do you mean having the logic of an automatic transmission? What signal would need to be sent from the controller to cause a shift? I would guess that RPM would be the deciding factor for shifting. I don't think it would be that hard to get an RPM sensor on the motor, and to make the controller become aware of the RPM. Then it could send signals out whenever the RPM reached a certain point, which could cause the shift. It sounds relatively straightforward. The nice thing about programming is that you can do pretty much whatever you want! It is only 16 MHz, but I was thinking of changing it to an ATMega168, which can be 20 MHz (wow, what is this, 1990?).

I'm guessing that a CAT5 cable would have too high an impedance. You need pretty big copper ribbon wire with lots of surface area to connect the ground of the mosfet driver (which is on the control board in this version) to the ground of the power section. I'm sure the control board can be made plug and play. Nothing is in stone!