View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

The only difference in open and closed loop is. . .the ECU gets data from one location or multiple. Open it gets data only from the MAP(MAF) and then plugs the data in and recovers how much fuel is needed. In open mode its more conservative and adds a little more fuel than it needs(I'm not talking 350z) to make sure it stays outside of lean. In closed it does what I just said and then the ECU takes data from O2 sensors(and nowadays alot more) and tries to get closer to what its mapped for. Eco cars are going to try to get right at 14.7 whereas sportier cars are going to hover around in the rich region and just have a tighter AFR band.

As far as the topic at hand is interested though a RAM air could theoretically improve FE, but I can't say for certain because I haven't tried it myself. I can't recall which user it was that has done it, but I believe them. WAI like I said is just a big restricter plate that pushes your driving tendencies towards ecohabits(unless you have lean burn and it has a required minimum AIT, then its a restricter and a system hack).