View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Just posted my latest fuel log and for this tank, a mix of hilly bowen, hilly city and some highway, I'm getting 24.36 combined. My usual average is 22.5 mpg. That's about 8% better. This is very encouraging because I did about double the Bowen driving to city/highway ratio. My last tank I kept voltage up only half the time but it shows an improvement as well.

This is the first tank where I managed to have the voltage up 90% of the time. I kept it at 14-14.5 but I think 18 volts will give even more gains. I found some info on racing sites where they were running 18v for more HP.

I keep hoping someone with a more consistent driving routine will test the high-low voltage issue. I rarely have the chance to do any benchmark A-B-A stuff here.

This really is important for alternatorless driving because all the results on this site are for going from 14.5 to 12V or less and the gains were about 10% so if there is another 8% to gain from alternatorless by keeping the voltage up then we have a much better ecomod here than previously thought.

Any takers?

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.