View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Good point, Robert, but probably not an issue for 2004 and up, which is what people are looking for in used Priuses.

As long as you have it rust treated when you get it, and every year or 2 after that, it won't fall apart beneath you.

Matt: good point about the gen 3 2010's. They should put downward pressure on the prices of the used gen 2 cars.

Why don't you think people are going to respond to gas prices like they did last year? Desensitization?
Robert: Over on Priuschat.com there is a good thread with alot of responses in regards to rust on the Gen II Prius. Here's the link...you might need to be registered and logged in to read it.

For long time owners, where do Prius rust first? I wish to know to protect those areas. - PriusChat Forums

Very few people are reporting ANY rust on their Prius...a couple mentioned wheel well spots on older models in salting areas...the Prius is built to last!

Metro: Alot of people on priuschat.com are reporting getting good deals on 2004-2009 the last couple months. A few guys on there are in a panic to dump their old Prius before their new 2010 comes in. None are near WI but there's bound to be one near Daox before too long...I've been keeping my eye out for any good deals near him as I'm sure he's doing the same!

In regards to gas prices, I just don't see people having the flexibility in their income to rush out to get a Prius because of rising gas prices. If the car was priced in the $10-15k range I think it would be a different story. $20-22k for a new 2009 or 2010 Prius (base model) is not in the budget right now and anyone downgrading from an SUV or luxury car is going to want a Prius with a luxury package ($25-28k). If I hadn't downgraded from my 4runner and kept the same monthly payment with my Prius as I had with my 4runner I probably wouldn't be in one right now either.

We will probably see $3/gallon national average sometime in July but I don't think it's going to effect Prius sales like it did last summer where Toyota sold 20,000+ Prius in April of 2008 and 10,000+ Prius in the summer months of 2008 (and exactly 1 year ago today the national average price of gas was $4.07/gallon)! Gas prices were the #1 topic on the news at this time last year yet gas prices have risen every day for the past 40+ days and I haven't seen 1 news story about it (it's taken a back seat to all the other dreadful news).

Even at $4/gallon (which I don't think will happen this year) I still don't see it having a noticeable effect. With all the "other" financial issues in play now $3/gallon won't even get a mention on the news channels. Not to mention, there are many more hybrid options out there now vs. last year that will effect Prius sales this summer. The 2010's Prius are doing well but most of those sales are Prius-only buyers who are trading in their old Prius for the new model and were on waiting lists for them. I can't wait to see the June and July Prius sales figures for the 2010...should tell you alot about the current market for autos.

FYI-Toyota sold 10,000+ Prius in May of this year and easily outpaced the next highest hybrid seller...Toyota Camry at 3,000 cars in May. The Insight, Civic and Fusion hybrid models all finished 3-5 with less than 3,000 cars sold in May.

See chart below:

May-2009-vs-May-2008-Hybrid-Sales.JPG (image)