Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Good point, Robert, but probably not an issue for 2004 and up, which is what people are looking for in used Priuses.

As long as you have it rust treated when you get it, and every year or 2 after that, it won't fall apart beneath you.

Matt: good point about the gen 3 2010's. They should put downward pressure on the prices of the used gen 2 cars.

Why don't you think people are going to respond to gas prices like they did last year? Desensitization?
Robert: Over on Priuschat.com there is a good thread with alot of responses in regards to rust on the Gen II Prius. Here's the link...you might need to be registered and logged in to read it.

For long time owners, where do Prius rust first? I wish to know to protect those areas. - PriusChat Forums

Very few people are reporting ANY rust on their Prius...a couple mentioned wheel well spots on older models in salting areas...the Prius is built to last!

Metro: Alot of people on priuschat.com are reporting getting good deals on 2004-2009 the last couple months. A few guys on there are in a panic to dump their old Prius before their new 2010 comes in. None are near WI but there's bound to be one near Daox before too long...I've been keeping my eye out for any good deals near him as I'm sure he's doing the same!

In regards to gas prices, I just don't see people having the flexibility in their income to rush out to get a Prius because of rising gas prices. If the car was priced in the $10-15k range I think it would be a different story. $20-22k for a new 2009 or 2010 Prius (base model) is not in the budget right now and anyone downgrading from an SUV or luxury car is going to want a Prius with a luxury package ($25-28k). If I hadn't downgraded from my 4runner and kept the same monthly payment with my Prius as I had with my 4runner I probably wouldn't be in one right now either.

We will probably see $3/gallon national average sometime in July but I don't think it's going to effect Prius sales like it did last summer where Toyota sold 20,000+ Prius in April of 2008 and 10,000+ Prius in the summer months of 2008 (and exactly 1 year ago today the national average price of gas was $4.07/gallon)! Gas prices were the #1 topic on the news at this time last year yet gas prices have risen every day for the past 40+ days and I haven't seen 1 news story about it (it's taken a back seat to all the other dreadful news).

Even at $4/gallon (which I don't think will happen this year) I still don't see it having a noticeable effect. With all the "other" financial issues in play now $3/gallon won't even get a mention on the news channels. Not to mention, there are many more hybrid options out there now vs. last year that will effect Prius sales this summer. The 2010's Prius are doing well but most of those sales are Prius-only buyers who are trading in their old Prius for the new model and were on waiting lists for them. I can't wait to see the June and July Prius sales figures for the 2010...should tell you alot about the current market for autos.

FYI-Toyota sold 10,000+ Prius in May of this year and easily outpaced the next highest hybrid seller...Toyota Camry at 3,000 cars in May. The Insight, Civic and Fusion hybrid models all finished 3-5 with less than 3,000 cars sold in May.

See chart below:

May-2009-vs-May-2008-Hybrid-Sales.JPG (image)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
With the weekend coming up, I'm thinking about going to look at these two:

***2007 TOYOTA PRIUS 31K***

2004 TOYOTA PRIUS SUPER PRICE

We'll see what comes of it, or if they are even there come Sunday (the first day I can get out to look at cars).
Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nice finds Daox! Those cars are priced very well. I'd be a little suspicious of the damage on the 2007 but nothing a carfax report wouldn't reveal if the damage was documented (on both of them for that matter).

Damage to a Prius is something that is more of a concern than on a regular car...and something that you have to really make sure the who, what, when, where and why's of. I'd want to know exactly what parts were replaced...if they were replaced under warranty and where the paperwork on the repairs is. The ENTIRE car is operated electronically. Even when you press the GO pedal the car operates under an electrical control system...any damage to other areas of the car can equal damage to parts throughout the car.

I'd want to know if the factory warranty is still in place (or if it even has one). Both cars are under 100k miles but it's something to make sure of. FYI-If the car is not under warranty the guys over at priuschat.com have a discounted warranty buy you can get that drops the platinum coverage from $1800 to about $1100 and covers the car up to 100k miles.

The 2004 has very low mileage on it...I'd want to know why. It's a good thing but maybe it has a history that is worth asking about.

Good luck if you go take a look at them...you're getting closer to Nirvana my friend!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Daox,

I forgot to ask in my previous post...when you say you might go "look" at the two Prius...did you mean just look or would you purchase if you liked one of them? Just wondering as it could be the end of a long search for you...good luck!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

Oh, I'm definitely ready to pull the trigger.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Wow, thats an absurdly low price. Scam perhaps
I emailed the seller who confirmed the price. Asked where she's located, but haven't heard back.

Suspicious though: there's another 2007 for sale, this one for $4900. The contact address is also a female's name with a Yahoo email account.

Even the format of the address is the same: FirstNameLastNameNUMBER@yahoo

Auto Trader Canada | Truck Trader Canada | Boat Trader Canada | RV Trader Canada

Toooooooo good to be true, I suspect.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Jalilah - '07 Chevrolet Cobalt LT
90 day: 40.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I emailed the seller who confirmed the price. Asked where she's located, but haven't heard back.

Suspicious though: there's another 2007 for sale, this one for $4900. The contact address is also a female's name with a Yahoo email account.

Even the format of the address is the same: FirstNameLastNameNUMBER@yahoo

Auto Trader Canada | Truck Trader Canada | Boat Trader Canada | RV Trader Canada

Toooooooo good to be true, I suspect.
I also emailed, and confirmed the price. i also think scam. good catch on the other 2007...
Old 06-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Who
UnderModded

Pablo - '07 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD
90 day: 23.62 mpg (US)
Do a search on [AutoTrader scam]. They want a deposit - plain and simple. The other scam is someone who has a buyer lined up for your car...

That said, I'm very curious how well I fit in the new Prius. The shifter and my right knee could never coexist is the Gen II.

I'm emigrating south of the 49th and debating on whether or not to take my less than frugal metric-metered CUV or sell it here and then go shopping down there - and the new Prius is definitely high on the list, although it does get pricey with the solar roof.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi guys,

I'd just like to point out that the earlier of the gen 2s are the best when it comes to hacking and ecomodding

If you look for an 04-06 they use the older MFD screens - and that enables you to install CANview directly into the back of the screen. It's a neater install than having two screens, which you're required to do on the 06-09

I'm probably not explaining it that well... but check out my video below and at the end you'll see what I mean

My PHEV conversion

Nikki.

PHEV modded and wanting to build an OS controller for my EV!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

Good to know Nikki! The idea of a plug in conversion has definitely come to mind.

Also, thanks for sharing your conversion story on priuschat. If I ever get around to doing my own I'm sure it will come in incredibly useful!