View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #121 (permalink)
jyanof
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnolde View Post
Say Jyanof, how did you get those nice scope readings? When I hooked up my scope to the input diodes, it blew my stray-current-protector (I'm not sure what the english word for that is) in my fusebox (every German household has one), because the scope ground was basically connected to a power line. So I unclipped that and just left the scope ungrounded and only used the center pin, but those readings were ok but not brilliant. Did you find a different way?
arnolde - sorry i didn't reply sooner, but i just saw your post!

yeah, i had that problem too! i think i mentioned using an isolation transformer, but that was the only way i could do it. i bought a used transformer from the surplus store that had multiple taps for input and output. i used the combinations of taps that made it a 1:1 transformer and now the inputs to the charger are isolated from the house wiring. It worked well, but it was only a 1kVa transformer, so I could only use it at low power (it got pretty warm at 5A). for high power stuff, I just assumed that the circuit behaved the same when it wasn't isolated and removed the isolation transformer.

my dad had a suggestion of using optoisolators somehow to isolate the scope probes. since the transformer worked for me, i didn't look into how to do that.

have you had any luck?