View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
bkeese
EcoModding Lurker

Searching for info about the Audiovox ccs-100 and how to fix it, I came across this thread and it gave me the impetus to open mine up and see what was what. I thought I'd post my results here for posterity as an expression of gratitude to this thread.

My cruise control wasn't working. The lights on the controller all seemed OK, and when I went through the troubleshooting steps in the manual, everything checked out. The LED flashed when the unit was on with the van running and increased in speed with the speed of the engine. That was all good. Next I checked the vacuum. I pulled the hose off the actuator and heard the vacuum release. So that was fine too. Next I took the case of the actuator apart. First I removed the rectangular service cap and pulled the 9-wire connector free. Then I took the metal bracket off the case, then used a flat screwdriver to undo the four tabs that held the back part of the case on (the part that surrounds the circuit board). This revealed the solenoid valves as well as the entire circuit board. The valve unit just pulls out of the circuit board. With the valve unit out, I tested each of the solenoids by applying 12V DC from a generic wall-wart transformer. Two activated, the other did not. The one in the middle seemed to be stuck.

I pulled the center solenoid out of the valve unit (after removing the little rubber strip) to tinker with it. Well, long story short, the spring that holds the valve closed was too strong for the solenoid to overcome. The solenoid must have become weak for some reason. There is a little metal plug on the bottom of the solenoid that can be pried out with a small screwdriver. It holds the spring in. I shortened the spring by about 1/16 inch by cutting off the last loop or so with a pair of side cutters. Put it back together and retested it. It worked fine. Put the whole thing back together and took it for a test drive, and everything works fine now.

Don't know how long it will last, but it works for now. Hope this helps someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to bkeese For This Useful Post:
dmulc (08-14-2009)