View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Ryland is right about how it doesn't make sense to make ethanol from corn.

The way our agriculture works is that we basically convert oil to fertilizer to food to alcohol.

Either just use the oil for fuel, or use some other plant material that is easier to grow and doesn't drive up food prices. Ethanol is a renewable, clean burning fuel, but not by how we are making it right now.

We finally have an E85 pump near where I live. I would be interested in experimenting with it.

The gasoline in my 4-county area is all 10% ethanol. That is a huge deal in how much ethanol is needed because that's like 1 in every ten cars having a full tank of E100!

My old car (Chevy Spectrum) originally got 47 MPG. After the E10 fuel was introduced, it dropped to 30 mpg, and eventually went back up to 35 mpg. The ethanol was introduced to help control air pollution. Not sure how dropping fuel economy from 47 to 30 helps pollute less.

I am on the north-western edge of the county. If I go either north or west not too far, gas stations have signs that say "good ol' gas" on them.

The other day, I had go west into the boonies anyways, so I tanked up on 100% gasoline while I was there.

I will track my mileage and see what kind of difference in economy I get.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos