View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 03:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
SVOboy -

I thought that as long as the gearing was equal or taller, an LSD would be better. I'm assuming that because the LSD is more efficient in getting the "power to the road" (right?!?!?!).

But for me, the cost would be enormous. I could install a Quaife LSD, but it would cost $1000 or more for the LSD and I don't know how much to install it into the transmission.

CarloSW2
Yes, but only in the case that the tire which would be normally transmitting power is slipping. This means that you're not getting the most out of your energy, and in this case, an LSD would help greatly.

From what I'm reading, an LSD shouldn't directly bother fuel economy, since it's unlocked unless the A tire is spinning X% faster/slower than the B tire.

As far as an LSD for your car, it depends on what kind of LSD you want. You could probably find other car with LSD in FWD, rob the differntial from it, and mod your tranny case to fit it in there. There are several people who have done this with Neon SRT-4 parts, into other Neons and diff types of Chrysler transmissions. Slight grinding of the inner ribs of the transmission's differential housing are necessary, but they don't affect the strength of the case negatively. (Several high HP pulls prove this.)

There are other options for LSD too, like "Phantom Grip"... again, depends on what kind of driving you're expecting to do. The installs are usually fairly straight forward. If you can install a new gear, you should have no problem installing a new diff in a trans.

I don't know what's available in the aftermarket/OEM for your vehicle, but I'm sure if you have a good enough use for it, and you want it bad enough, you'll figure it out!

As for me, when I get around to buying more parts for the truck, I'm relatively sure an Exploder axle is going to be on the list.