Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Johnny 5 - '81 Honda Cm400e
90 day: 42.86 mpg (US)

Da bike - '06 Honda Shadow Vlx deluxe
90 day: 59.47 mpg (US)
get drop coils, there cheap, well not a cheap as b/j flip. but it will stop bump steer that u get with the b/j flip.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
The bump steer isn't too much of an issue for me, honestly. Many people severely exaggerate "problems" when they talk about them. Probably, if it gets too bad, I'll find a way to relocate the steering rack to make up for the few degrees that it offsets the steering angle.

I don't really like to use drop coils too much, unless I"m getting shorter shocks to go with them.

If I take the truck on as a project later, I'll end up doing a triangulated 3-link in the rear with a step notch and either get front drop spindles or replace the front suspension with tubular parts that are tuned to the suspension height that I want. I'll keep stock suspension angles, though.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

have to be custom drop spindles
there is a guy on customtacos also a vender beefed taco
Beefed Advertising :: streetacos new ad remix by BeefedTaco - Photobucket

highly recommend his stuff,
Old 06-29-2009, 12:11 AM   #24 (permalink)

Anyone think LSD will have an effect on MPG? Either negative or positive?

I'm thinking about swapping the rear axle to an 8.8 from an Exploder/Mountaineer, so I'll have rear disc and LSD.

I can get the axle for

Part Price Core Price Total with Tax
$129.63 $9.26 $150.00

From the Junkyard, which will give me rear discs, a separate parking brake (Exploders use a drum parking brake and disc stopping brake), Limited Slip, and whatever gear ratio I can find. I'll get something with a longer ratio, obviously.

The first obvious mod will be to install a Gauge cluster with a Tach, tho... I can't handle not having a tach. LOL.

Last edited by Christ; 06-29-2009 at 12:20 AM..
Old 06-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #25 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Well, if the LSD gives you a wider range of taller gearing options then there is probably a net benefit, eh?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 AM   #26 (permalink)

That's why I was asking. I can find the same ratios in non-LSD configurations. I think the LSD might help me out in other ways than MPG, though, such as pulling a trailer or something.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
SVOboy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Well, if the LSD gives you a wider range of taller gearing options then there is probably a net benefit, eh?
I thought that as long as the gearing was equal or taller, an LSD would be better. I'm assuming that because the LSD is more efficient in getting the "power to the road" (right?!?!?!).

But for me, the cost would be enormous. I could install a Quaife LSD, but it would cost $1000 or more for the LSD and I don't know how much to install it into the transmission.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 06-29-2009, 03:21 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
SVOboy -

I thought that as long as the gearing was equal or taller, an LSD would be better. I'm assuming that because the LSD is more efficient in getting the "power to the road" (right?!?!?!).

But for me, the cost would be enormous. I could install a Quaife LSD, but it would cost $1000 or more for the LSD and I don't know how much to install it into the transmission.

CarloSW2
Yes, but only in the case that the tire which would be normally transmitting power is slipping. This means that you're not getting the most out of your energy, and in this case, an LSD would help greatly.

From what I'm reading, an LSD shouldn't directly bother fuel economy, since it's unlocked unless the A tire is spinning X% faster/slower than the B tire.

As far as an LSD for your car, it depends on what kind of LSD you want. You could probably find other car with LSD in FWD, rob the differntial from it, and mod your tranny case to fit it in there. There are several people who have done this with Neon SRT-4 parts, into other Neons and diff types of Chrysler transmissions. Slight grinding of the inner ribs of the transmission's differential housing are necessary, but they don't affect the strength of the case negatively. (Several high HP pulls prove this.)

There are other options for LSD too, like "Phantom Grip"... again, depends on what kind of driving you're expecting to do. The installs are usually fairly straight forward. If you can install a new gear, you should have no problem installing a new diff in a trans.

I don't know what's available in the aftermarket/OEM for your vehicle, but I'm sure if you have a good enough use for it, and you want it bad enough, you'll figure it out!

As for me, when I get around to buying more parts for the truck, I'm relatively sure an Exploder axle is going to be on the list.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

i know true trac makes one for your 7,5 inch rear end....
as for ratios v6 5 speed 2wd (5 lugs) came with 3.15 and the lager 8.4 rear end.

i have the trd lsd in my 6 lug 8.4 housing. clutch type though no like the gear driven trutrac.

if u can find a taco at a junk yard with a tach and it is a 2.4/2.7 (4 cyc) it will be plug and play.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.26 mpg (US)
That's the 2RZ engine. The 22R was never rated that high, even when turbocharged. Too bad, I tend to prefer the old 22R over just about everything else. But hey, at $200, I'd probably be pretty flexible, too.

I think you are on the right track looking for taller rear end gears. Even with the modest output of my truck's engine, I know there's enough torque for it to lope along at a much more relaxed pace for cruising than it does. A longer gear can't hurt. Don't forget to adjust the speedo sensors.

I'm pretty sure that the LSD wouldn't have any effect on your mileage at all. A nicely set-up one can sure make you wonder whether you ever needed 4WD, though - I've seen lots of offroaders get farther off road with a smart LSD or locker setup, than guys with 4WD. It helps if you're not an idiot about your offroading, though.

If you're feeling crafty, you could probably sell the bed, and fab up some lightweight aero-friendly cargo space. You'd probably have a tough time making it capable of carrying everything the chassis can handle, but if you're trying to make a thrifty runabout, building a full-width, full-height kammback to smooth the airflow would be huge.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread