View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #92 (permalink)
Eddles
EcoModding Apprentice

Eddles's Astra - '01 Vauxhall Astra ECO4
90 day: 61.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojman873 View Post
This is my first post here and I wanted to express my appreciation for all the valuable and useful tips and hints posted throughout the site from all of you.

I had a few questions regarding the mirror topic. I have folding mirrors on both sides of my 4-door 2007 Hyundai Accent GLS. I was considering folding in the passenger side one after having read about the FE/aero benefits. But are there any negative effects resulting from lopsided airflow when only one mirror is extended? For instance, might the car pull to one side or something? Also, is folding in just the passenger mirror better for FE/aero than not doing anything at all? What I mean is could the uneven airflow somehow have a negative FE effect? I appreciate any input. Thanks.

OJ
Don't worry too much about it. In the UK, side mirrors were optional on most cars until the late 80's. I grew up with my dad's old Nova, a B-reg one (1984) and it didn't have a passenger side mirror at all. His next Nova, a K-reg one (1993) had a passenger side mirror and that was novel!

Look at this A-reg Nova (1982) and you can clearly see that it doesn't have a passenger side mirror.

My aim: to achieve 3L/100km.
Best tank @ 65mph: 864.2 miles 69.36MPGus 3.4l/100km