View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
PA32R
EcoModding Apprentice

LR3 - '06 Land Rover LR3 HSE
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
It's newsworthy in that the journalist is attempting to remain as neutral as possible while keeping some media spotlight on the story. I don't know about you but it seems to me that the brighter the light shone on this dorkus the sooner people will see him for what he is.

I think your comments are a bit unfair to the reporter, who looks to me to be doing a professional job of it -- unlike most of the other so-called 'reporting' these days which is actually either op-ed or advertising.
I disagree in this instance. While I don't like op-ed and advertising disguised as news, and in politics for example I respect neutrality, this is none of that.

When something is clearly impossible and is being reported on as if it's factual to a public that is in no position to do the appropriate research it's the reporter's job to fact check.

What if she reported that someone had succeeded in creating a device that, once wound, would produce useable power with no further input due to some mechanical contrivance? What about an instance of alien abduction? Either is as likely as getting 136.85 miles per gallon (explicitly NOT MPGe) out of E85 in a Mustang (this is a number directly off the "Test Data" page of HP2g's web site Hp2g.com).

Her "neutrality" gives HP2g credibility it doesn't deserve.