View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 12:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Show us yer math if ya would. I don't think so, but maybe you know the ins and outs of rentals better than I.
So renting....

$68.59 estimated out the door for a "Chevy Colorado, Dodge Dakota or similar"

I pay ~65/year for my car's registration... So we'll call that one rental
Insurance with Esurance is $641.00 every 6 months* for my car....

Adding a 2000 Ford F150 that will be driven less than 5K miles/year. This brings the insurance up to $1,150.00. That's $1018 a year to insure the truck - we'll call that 14.8 rentals.

So just to tag and insure - that's equivalent to nearly 16 pickup truck rentals.

I'm not including gas you'll have to pay for that regardless of which scenario you go with.

Okay, lets go with old pickup. 1981 (as far back as esurance goes) F150 for less than 5000 miles per year. Insurance totals to $1,006.00 . That's an extra $730 every year - equivalent to 10.6 rentals. I'm going to ignore maintenance as I'm fairly certain the '81 will have significantly more wear than the '00...

So to tag an insure the 81' F150 - that's equivalent to about 11 rentals per year.

Back to the original statement...
Quote:
My philosophy -- if you need anything bigger than a small car or wagon, it's cheaper to rent it for a day or so, than to finance it, insure it, fuel it, maintain it, etc, etc...
I too share this line of thought....