View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
ZeroFuel
EcoModding Lurker

ZeroFuel 1,2,3 - '96 Geo Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by robchalmers View Post
I like the idea - the general concept, but I'm worried over the theory of wanting manufacturers to design engines to run on your fuel - i'm struggling to see that as viable in short or medium term when most will be ditching for EV/FC in the next whole generation. Granted you'll be able to supply FCs. How much do you think it will cost to convert you average family sedan ( I'm guessing you'll have put this in a business model somewhere) as this will have a Large effect on people willingness to convert.

also from you slide bar your H2 route is quite short - How big is the infrastruct required in this? I mean could it be carried out behind a gas station thus solving the difficulties in a Hydrogen infrastructure becoming a reality??
Hey Rob

The ICE is here to stay for a long time. The SAE world congress just showed many new technologies that will fit nicely with ZeroFuel. Remember, how ever cool EV's may be, they will most likely not fit all consumer segments & needs. Even the urbanite (the EV's most potential consumer) who can not plug in, will have issues with an EV. I just did an interview with an editor who lives in a city & would not be able to plug in. He is getting a hybrid that could be supported by ZF.

Our business plan is primarily for the OE's to build vehicles to run on ZeroFuel. The engineering changes are fairly straightforward to run an ICE on NH3 & H2. With the 130+ octane of NH3, the compression ratio can be much higher, more efficient then today's ICE's. No emissions equipment will be required such as catalytic converters & particulate filters, thereby saving the OE's substantial money per vehicle while also simplifying the vehicle. NH3 & H2 only emit N & H2O.

On the retrofit market, it will be best for the Licensed OE's to make kits for their dealers to install, thereby protecting the consumers warranty & helping to bring $$$ back to the dealer & OE networks. AFS projects retrofit cost to be 1K per cylinder. This price could drop as volume increases.

H2 & NH3 fuel cell vehicles will be viable options with the safe storage of NH3 & H2 provided by ZeroFuel. This is the break through needed for clean efficient vehicles so that R&D will shift to supper efficient ICE's & the ultimate EV, fuel cells.

As far as infrastructure, carbamide (urea) is already available at any mass market retailer. (Fertilizer 46-0-0) The EPA has mandated all new trucks to have urea srubbing systems installed by 2010. All truck stops & dealers nationwide will have urea (ZeroFuel) available.

ZeroFuel is made from H2, N, & CO2. It is a solid when produced.

H2 is produced primarily from steam reformation of natural gas, a fairly clean & cheap art. H2 can be produced from renewable also. One of our goals is to have the current art & the renewable producing side by side with the renewable eventually making all or most of the H2 for ZF. At that level ZF's GHG emissions is "0".

Another form of making H2 & using a valuable resource that is being totally wasted is stranded/associated gas. Part of our business plan is to setup skid pad factories at the drilling sites that have stranded gas. Steam reformation can be performed & the N & CO2 is drawn from the atmosphere. You get solid carbamide (ZF), cheap & safe to ship.

Factories will give AFS continues N & CO2 feedstock to produce ZF. The CO2 is sequestered and only emitted upon combustion, producing a net "0" CO2 emissions.

The 2 fuels produced by the ZF on board decomposition process is NH3 & H2. NH3 emits N & H20, H2 emits H20.

Here is what ZeroFuel has solved:

Safety: non-toxic, non-flammable or explosive

Storage: "0" PSI, easy & safe to transport, 0-0-0-0 DOT rated

Range: vehicle only limited by size of fuel tank

Emissions: "0", N & H2O

Sustainable: endless feedstock, does not interrupt food supply

Performance: can fit any & all consumer segments with NH3 130+ octane

Lowest cost per mile of any other fuel: with the above arts, & home filling stations able to buy in quantities.

I hope this has answered your questions.