View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
robchalmers
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
Personally - working for an OE thats part of a bigger group (I'm not speaking for them and my view may not be theirs- disclaimer) but I doubt that they'll want to produce a car that runs on a one market fuel. Thinking of the effort that has gone into R&D purely on one engine for flex-fuel, where if the is no supply of one fuel you can still use another its hard to imagine them creating pretty much a new class of engine in addition to the Gas and diesel in current model ranges, not to mention the changes in car infrastructure for the different fuelling set-ups / heat dissapation / cooling, all of which would need to be tested and certified for multiple markets. I think you'd have to be looking 5-10 years down the line by which time alot of OEs are looking to have already start in model cycle development of alternates. That would leave you with the aftersales markets and I doubt you'll see many bar most hardcore paying $4k ($1k per cylinder) to convert 5k family run-a-round.

Sorry to sound like I' having a downer there

Also a couple of things from the bullet point above:

'Range: vehicle only limited by size of fuel tank' can't you say that of any fuel in any vehicle?

'Emissions: "0", N & H2O' have any toxicology studies been done into the affects on the body of high N environments - just if all the cars in a rush hour jam are running ZF we could have health risk of the quantity of the smog issue we have now.

twitter.com/bertchalmers