View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Gone4
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
I think you may end up quoting miles per dollar to compare with any energy source because the power plant is burning some fuel at probably only 30 to 40% efficiency by the time it get to the battery. So we might want to stay away from any miles per gallon or miles per watt numbers. Evenually miles per unit of energy from any source will be similiar i suppose but until then miles per dollar is about as fair as you could get. Even windmills and pv panels cost dollars. What do you think about this approach?
How do we add enviromental costs to this?
It's quite hard to do that considering the power source varies from place to place. The gas I use versus what they use in down south isn't even the same right now, and ergo has a different amount of energy. Realistically it will vary from station to station based on the amount of ethanol added too. And how would you treat sources such as the captured methane from cow's feces that Vermonter's buy and would otherwise cause more environmental harm? I guess we would get infinite values since it's reducing methane which is many times worse than CO2.