View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Hello -

I started this album with pop-up details on the pix :

Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com - cfg83's Album: Wheel Cover

First, I used a 16" pizza pan to cut a circular pattern on posterboard paper. I needed the posterboard paper circle to figure out the center point (two folds) and test fit the circle on the wheel :

Then I used the Pizza Pan as a hard edge to cut another circle in "sign plastic" :

Here it is installed :

Front view of it installed :

Notice how much it bows out. This could be mitigated by starting with a smaller diameter plastic circle. However, I think the shape under my wheel may need this much to fit correctly, *and* to provide enough plastic for overlap.

Here is a "cut-away" of where I attached the zip ties :

The "green line" along the cutting edge is the "underneath overlap". I used two mini-zip ties instead of one because I considered that the "weak spot". I also drilled a center hole to (hopefully) mitigate my initial cut continuing to break along the cutting line. The wheel rotates forward counter-clockwise in this picture, so I made the overlap so that the air can't get under the wheel cover.

Benefits :
- Cheap. I paid $6 for the sign, but I'll bet you can get this plastic for a lot cheaper. I was just in the hardware store at the time and it was the right size to do the job.
- Fits really well. The overlap allowed me to "fit" the cover to the inner groove of the wheel. You can see the rim of the wheel in the last picture.
- Easy cut zip tie to remove.
- Matches my car color without trying (I like this style going wayyyyy back), but I think it could be painted to match any color. I am also thinking of "black out plastic" for a different look.
- I can add-air. My valve caps have a "bolt" shape to the end, so I will carry a little wrench of the right size and remove the caps with that (though I think I will need to Dremel the hole to be a little bit bigger).
- Light plastic. I am not worried about wheel balancing or it flying off and hurting anything.
- I have a "4 point" attachment setup for the zip ties because I have a "x4" wheel spoke design, but this could be N point for wheels with "x3" or "x5" wheel spoke designs.
- 100% reversible (EDIT)

Problems :
- PITA to make (my eternal complaint). Pending test of single one, others should go more smoothly. I have a friend that can cut perfect circles in plastic, so I will go to him for new ones.
- Sign plastic may not be durable. I would like to have used a "softer" more durable plastic, similar to what zip ties or car mudflaps are made of. This plastic may be too "brittle" under impact. Time will tell.
- I like to go to a car wash every now and then. Years ago my snap-on racing disks were damaged by a car wash. I think these covers will pass the grade, but I will need to do more measurements and/or give up the car wash. My hunch is that I am safe because the metal racing disks bowed out *a lot* in order to work with any type of wheel. This shape is more conical.
- The zip tie attachment sticks out. I didn't zip it from the back because I was lazy and I have a dust brake shield in the way. I am doing "proof of concept" right now, so I am not too worried about it.

At this point I will be testing it for durability. If it works, I will make the rest and I will have my RACING DISKS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 07-21-2009 at 12:50 AM..