View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
I don't think it was disingenuous - which is why I put an old and a car equivalent to the age of my current car.
Holy cow! You don't think a statement, which was directed at others, and I responded to with information about my situation/s, is disingenuous if you respond to my statement by using information about your situation/s, when it's not your situation that I'm using, but my situation in response to this general statement from RH77 to everyone else? C'mon meng...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
My philosophy -- if you need anything bigger than a small car or wagon, it's cheaper to rent it for a day or so, than to finance it, insure it, fuel it, maintain it, etc, etc...

Do the Math.

RH77
Quote:
8 years is well past the major depreciation hit in the first 36 months. That, and I actually got real quotes - putting my SS# and information in.... I did NOT include collision
RH77's statement was to everyone, including all their own unique situations, not just your cherry picked example.

Quote:
But lets take your example

$20 for UHual Pickup rental plus mileage. That's $19.95 + $0.49 per mile. Lets say we'll do 40 mile average per rental (a cross town move). That's $39.60 plus any taxes. This is a situation where say you have to move a crap ton of foam and don't have a truck...
That's your example, not mine. My example/s would be what I do/need. Thus far, the only info you have on my examples are my insurance/registration rates, a range of associated fuel costs, and the number of days I tend to use a vehicle on a trip. I suppose from that you could infer some range as well, but in any event, your cherry picked example is not my example. You can't just take a few attributes, and claim it's something I would do. Well, you can, but yer reachin if I'm responding to a general statement about what's cheaper for me...

Quote:
It's probably less than most which is why mechanics are busy
Fer sure. How many people do you know that would do something for themselves in less time than it would take to "earn" the money to pay someone else to do it? No a whole lot. Why? I dunno, I guess most people just like doing repetitive tasks for a longer amount of time than it would take to just fix their own stuff.