Thread: Ben's Elec-Trak
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Thanks for the links!

I did get into the Owners Group to hunt done some PDF files of wiring diagrams and such.

Yesterday, I got some more work done. Rich called me up and said he was available to help on projects for the day. All-Right!

I threw the tractor in the back of the pickup truck, and hauled it over to his house.

We pulled off the front wheels and took apart the center console and steering.
Two bearings in the steering column are totally rusted away, so the driving gear no longer meshes with the driven gear for the steering. We pulled off the steering wheel, and got the column completely removed. However, we couldn't find the odd bearing at any local store. We will have to wait til Monday until a real bearing store is open, or mail order them.

We wire wheel brushed down the front wheel rims, after pulling the rubber off. Man!That was a pain!

We painted the rims, replaced the valve stems, and installed new tires.
These things look brand-new! I did take a look at some rims with tires already mounted on them at the store, but the bearings are SO CHEAP now compared to what was on the old rims.

Also, they still make the same tires as what was originally on there, so the new tires are the exact same tread pattern and everything. (Only they don't say GE ELEC-TRAK molded in the side.)

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos