View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Lots of new cars have a lockout on reverse or park at speeds above, say 5 mph. Hyundai takes it a step further on some cars by requiring brake application.

But yes, I've had a few "oops" moments in my driving life...

1. 1988 Plymouth Voyager V6. First year of driving. Left the fast food drive through dropped something on the floor (salt packet or something), then as I came back up, my arm caught the shifter and I popped the column into reverse. Speed was about 20 and it died instantly. I thought I killed it. Luckily it started right back up.

-- then there was a stint with manuals...

2. Integra: Backing into the driveway, I've accidentally popped the lever into drive at ~5 mph. It jerks and kills the engine. The goal was to coast in Neutral and cut the engine, but went a bit too far.

3. In some rentals, it's easy to accidentally hit Park at low speeds. The PT Cruiser has a notorious shifter -- when coasting into a parking area, I generally pop it into Neut without pressing the shift button. The PT has often just gone straight to park. It makes a lot of clicking until another gear is selected or comes to a stop.

Essentially, I'm not sure if there are any further lockouts to add...

RH77

_
_