View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 02:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
max_frontal_area
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Most of the drag reduction is going to happen at the back of the truck. (I suspect you already know this, judging by your chosen username!) The max frontal area exists at the very end of the vehicle = bad news.

So boat-tailing will help, as will shrouding the rear wheels by extending a skirt below the box, as you've probably started to see on tractor trailers.

That's just a start....
the username was chosen because modern versions of this vehicle are utilizing a lower profile frame which allows the cargo box to ride significantly lower whilst still allowing for standing headroom +.

it is a 12' box on a short frame therefore very little room for wheel pants, which would have to extend behind the vehicle to become effective.

there is a discontinuity at the far end/ bottom of the cab and the beginning of the cargo box which i intend to streamline with a toolbox of sorts... culminating in a generous downward radius as it nears the rear duallys, at least down to the center of the axle.

the roll up rear door will be rarely, if used at all. therfore a trim tab style (like the skidplates used on the rear of small boats) boat tailing
would be possible/practical but i have my heart set on PVC pipe frame covered with a contoured nylon fabric covering.