Thread: Miata modding
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
How did you add the vents? I am not sure how useful they are, can someone else chime in on the theory and its soundness here?
The theory is good and goes back at least to Kamm,who's "Kammback" would be useless without the attached flow the pre-windshield engine bay outlets helped generate.The P-51 Mustang was designed with particular care to the cooling system for drag reasons.Walter Korff advocated their inclusion in passenger cars in the early 1960s.Dr.Morelli used Pininfarina's windtunnel to perfect the "vents" of the CNR "banana-car" and was able to match the velocity of flow of the escaping air to that of the surrounding flow field.-------------- Without a windtunnel I would have no idea how anyone might pull this off.----------------- My opinion is that the area near the A-pillars,where the air is accelerating around to the side of the car,would be the location of lowest pressure and best scavenging.Also,if a coolant hose blows,you don't hose down the windshield with glycol,and you've got a chance to see your way to the shoulder of the road without a crash.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (10-02-2013)