View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #30 (permalink)
Snax
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
ditta on alignment... inner edge wear is NOT a normal thing.
I wasn't going to go back to this, but since three of you piped up on my inner shoulder wear, I'm just going to say that the wear patterns of some vehicles simply defy normal. It is all a dynamic of how alignment changes when the suspension moves, thus an alignment that is optimal for straight level travel can turn into shoulder scrubbing in a turn. I won't go into the details of what and how, but a google search of "Mazda5 tire wear" will return a plethora of results on this. It's also worth noting that 24k miles out of the set of 50 profile Z-rated tires that are standard issue is not out of the ordinary for a vehicle setup to handle the way our minivan is.

Lets just say that I understand the tradeoffs there for what actually is normal for our vehicle and leave it at that.

As for bump starts, I always use the highest gear possible to get the job done, which is usually top gear and rarely at anything over 45 mph. This assures the least rpm difference between the shafts and the least wear and tear on synchros and motor mounts.