Thread: Concept A
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Oh yeah, and a highly engineered strong/stiff/light frame. And an unbelievably low drag coefficient, and really small frontal area, and really low rolling resistance tires, and a really efficient drive train, and some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Can't wait to see it.

Don't forget, it's very easy to spend $30K or more and end up with a fine general motors or chrysler or ford product that gets 21 mpg or less. So spending 25K on a good battery pack in a slick design is not as crazy as it first sounds.

Plus, your home brew vehicle will not be designed so it's intentionally hard to work on, and wears out on purpose.
At current prices for LiFePo4, I'm estimating $17.5K. That of course is cell-only price, I'm sure the charger and balancing controller could drive it as high as $20K.

Aero? I'm borrowing heavily from the AeroCivic for my design. I'm going a step further and not having open wheel wells. The body will extend past the wheels far enough that I can turn the wheels 90º without having to deal with the wheel going beyond the body.

As for weight, the battery pack cells, without the miscellanea, will weigh just a touch over 1,100 lbs, which leaves me ~1,400 lbs to deal with everything else. I figure if I can reasonably use Titanium for the frame, and carbon-fiber for the shell, I should be golden. Plus no transmissions, no differentials, straight motor-on-wheel, no friction brakes, except a parking brake in the motors. I'm actually going as far as having the motors built INTO the rims, instead of having 2 separate pieces. No conventional steering system, all drive-by-wire with a light-cable backup.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

Last edited by The Atomic Ass; 07-19-2009 at 05:03 PM..