View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Amro
EcoModding Lurker

Electric motor overheating

Hi,

I'm converting a three wheeled freight moped to electric drive but I'm running in to an unforseen problem. The quite sturdy (and ancient) motor is overheating.

Yesterday I was doing a test drive out in the woods (using the bicyclelanes mostly) when I noticed smoke coming from the motor. The engine casing was really hot !

I was testing the new trojan T105's I got cheaply (still doubting it was a good buy) and the new cables I made. That was okay, the cables didn't get hot (like a few days ago, melted one )

I just don't understand where the heat come's from. I'm using a bosch brushed motor dc 1,8 kw 150 amp 24 volt and a sevcon pmw controller 24 Volt / 200 amp and off course 4x6v T-105

On this page you'll find some old pic's from some months ago: Bakbrommer :: View topic - Foto's electro bak

I've been thinking it might be the ratio of the gear/cogs (I'm not sure of the proper word) because that's 16 front (motor) and 41 back (rearwheel).

I think my question is if an electric motor can't get to it's max. rpm (i.e. 2000 in this case) does it keep on trying? And sucking up amps which cause al the heat ?

TIA

Amro