View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #58 (permalink)
McTimson
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 39.49 mpg (US)
I think the top 10 lists should reflect the top 10 real world mileage ratings. For 'non-believers' of hypermiling, having it show only the best tanks would be another reason for them not to believe that people can get such great mileage. Including every tank still keeps the average high, and shows what can be achieved by anyone on a regular basis.

Even with experimentation of techniques and mods, I think most people here are going to be able to pull some pretty impressive MPG numbers. If it were a concern for somebody, then the simplest thing to do would be to just not add that tank to the mileage log. I don't agree with this idea, because even if it was a bad technique that lowered your average, so what? You've learned from it, and the next tank, you'll be able to recover from it.

Also, I think there are too many other factors in picking the best tanks. If we took the best 4 in a row, for example, then they would probably come from a stretch of nice weather for that person, which again, wouldn't reflect a real-world average. It's going to rain at least a little bit for everybody, so why not have that show in the average?