View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #59 (permalink)
cjm
Aerocivic Wannabe

Adventure Mobile II - '94 Honda Civic Hatchback DX
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)

Adventure Mobile III - '03 Honda CR-V EX
90 day: 24.08 mpg (US)

Roxy - '07 VW Rabbit
90 day: 27.55 mpg (US)
Well, for a newbie like myself. I'm more interested in a car's potential capability than its average performance. By identifying those top vehicles, I can see what mods and techniques they have used and maybe get my vehicle/driver to an optimum state that much faster.

With regard to the nice weather example, that is exactly my point. If we use just the last 90 days, our list will reflect (in part) which cars experienced good weather in the last 90 days. If a car in its current configuration has the potential for doing 70 MPG @65 MPH Hwy because it did so in the last 180 days but not in the last 90 (due to weather, spouse was driving, etc), it's still a "top vehicle" in my book.

I think I understand your position on the real world average but I think the lifetime average fills that need. I just think the "top vehicle" list here on the home page of ecomodder.com should highlight the capabilities of the cars in good conditions rather than aggregate performance in all conditions.

I think we're in agreement that one excellent tank should not propel a vehicle to the top of any list and that averages of some sort must be taken. Best 4-in-a-row of last 10 (or similar) is still an average and should eliminate spikes caused by short fills or other anomalies. I think we simply disagree on what to do with the recent bad tanks. Reasonable people can agree to disagree, eh? Thanks.