View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #37 (permalink)
instarx
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionmovement View Post
I think the European cars in their home markets are probably far more reliable than when they arrive in the US. ... My friend's second nightmare Audi A4 (he's finally learned and is buying something else) looks nice, ... on the side of the road awaiting a tow truck to take you to a dealer that will say the 1.8T is toast with 55k miles due to a poorly designer oil pickup, a...
This is just anecdotal information. I can give just as many design problems with US manufacturers. Exploding Pinto's (correcting it would have cost Ford $6 per car so they decided the loss of life was worth it), Ford buying the cheapest tires possible for their vans which killed occupants when they disintegrated, poor oil distribution in GM 6.5L diesels, abysmal GM auto diesels, Vega's, Chrysler anythings, etc, etc, etc.

It's just my opinion, but if I had to have a reliable car I'd buy this order: 1)Japanese, 2)Korean, 3)European, 4)American.

And here is probably the best example of all. Volvo used to have a reputation for reliability, but after Ford bought them they became known for being unreliable.

Last edited by instarx; 07-22-2009 at 02:03 PM..