Thread: Sedan Kammback?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
KJSatz
Civic 4 Life

Civics Lesson - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Sedan Kammback?

I've been pitching around ideas for aero mods for my car for a year now. I'm starting to formulate an idea that I think I can actually do that might really help. Looking for some guidance and hoping to encourage other coupe and sedan owners.

Many recent sedans and coupes, including my 8thcivic, have the trunk angled slightly downward. Between this preexisting angle and the shortness of the trunk compared to a whole car, I think that this presents advantages in boattail or kammback construction in that the tail can be smaller in all dimensions.

http://img10.imageshack.us/i/boatc.png/

I took the approximate tangent line of the trunkline towards the rear and chopped the tail section from the plane Basjoos used as a model starting at that angle area to make that image.

I am under the impression that this would only actually work if the airflow were still "attached" to the body across the trunk lid area. Is this correct?

I recall a white Nissan sedan that fashioned a coroplast boattail similar in shape to this, using the rear doors to secure it. Has this worked well?

I envision starting with a kammback that follows this shape but does not go all the way out. I hope it would be mountable using the trunk lid in some manner, and not the rear doors. I would want it to be temporary so that I would only put it on for my highway trips. I would also want it to mount in such a way that doesn't damage the finish of my year-old Civic. Perhaps some sort of rubber material would be ideal for the interface between the kammback and the stern area.

I invite any kind of discussion and advice!