View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 AM   #2100 (permalink)
jyanof
Joe

here are two clips from a trip I took on saturday. i guess they aren't clips - it's a 20 min video, and youtube doesn't accept videos longer than 10 mins. It was a total of 34 miles, but I don't show it all. I had just fixed my temp sensors (needed to upscale some variables before doing some calculations), so I wanted to make observations and see how the controller performed - I hadn't gone more than a few miles til then.

Conclusions:

The temp probes were touching the top of the mosfet and at 200A on the highway, were reading about 65C, or about 25degC above ambient (42C). Unlike what I say early on in the video, this seems to be worse than typical city driving where there's ample opportunity while coasting or waiting at lights to cool down.

at ~240 amps continuous in 4th gear, the temps rose about 10degC to the mid 70s. I don't know if the temp limiting was coming on because 240 amps is still significantly lower than 500 amps and the thermal cutback reduces current in increments of 12.5%.

I think these temps are really just ballpark numbers and it's likely that the internal mosfet/diode temps are a bit higher, but it's interesting nonetheless.

The caps have significant thermal mass and no active cooling. They take a while to warm up, but when they do, they're just as hot as everything else, maybe just a couple degrees cooler. When back in city driving and waiting at a light, everything else 'cools down' but the caps are still hot. Maybe a fan to pump some air through there would help - if we determine it's needed - at the risk of blowing dust and other crap in there. maybe a fan and a filter? AZ is very dusty...

overall, the controller performed great!

So, if you want to watch 20 mins of cruisin, here's part1:

And here's part2: (which if you view mithin minutes of me posting this, is probably not completely processed by youtube)

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ting-9325.html