View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidethebox View Post
I agree with you 100% I drew a mans wages at 11 driving a tractor I am responsible for growing fruit and vegetables that fed millions. I have a right to EAT! Dumpster diving can be so much fun I was introduced to it as a teen when a friend and I were invited to a party we didn't have any money or gift we went behind a store and found a fifty pound bag of onions we threw away about five onions that were bad. They liked the present and I'll bet they used them. We have something called spring cleaning hear where anything big you want to put out the county will pick up. Wow wood stoves, bbqs, fishing tackle, lab equipment, bikes, campers, furniture, I even picked up a zodiac raft I figured it ripped or something I could repair it. When I inflated it, it was good as new! One lady was putting a new bike to the curb my friend pulled up asked her what was the matter with it, she said my husband rode it once it's got a flat. It was just low on air. You could build and furnish a house with what gets thrown away here. People also tear down houses during this time so doors, windows, plumbing, wiring, everything a house is made out of, or furnished with is on the curb. I built so many things out of it, all free. Of course I aquired quite a junk pile when I finally put it on the curb someone else picked it up in less than an hour.
I know of a few people in different areas that go around picking up free "damaged" things, fixing them, like reupholstering furniture (with recycled materials, usually from other projects), and then sells them at store front.

The only thing about these guys that isn't legal, is that they all reside inside their stores, which aren't zoned for residential use. They haven't been bothered about that, they usually only get bothered when a "new" customer recognizes something they threw out, and throws a fit about him selling "garbage".