Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
I don't look down on the dude for living in a cave - as long as he keeps himself clean and doesn't steal... but why not also have a job?

I can't imagine how quickly my bank account would go up if i worked 9-5 and went home to a cave.

My girlfriend is a waster. She grew up in a family of wasters. Sometimes i see veggies in a plastic bag in the garbage - so i take them out, wash them, chop them up and serve them for dinner only to hear compliments on it

If i saw someone idling their SUV while eating dinner, I would go and tell them under the guise that i'm looking out for them. "excuse me everybody, someone has left their SUV idling"... no guilt trip, no offense. If they then told me "i'm keeping it cool for when my fat ass is done gorging on half of this meal" i'd tell them they are a prick and be on my way.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Noone makes the mistake of leaving their vehicle idle while eating. It's blatant disregard.

My Wife doesn't waste as much as many others, but she also doesn't understand that there are viable alternatives to many of the things that she likes, most of which taste/perform/function better, use less packaging, and are healthier for you. I'm working on this.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Neon - '95 Dodge Neon
Last 3: 49.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Food waste is epidemic... all pervasive... it's... just... so.... MADDENING!!!

I've worked in the restaurant industry. People will order an x-large pizza, eat two pieces out of it, and send the rest to the dumpster. WE OFFERED SMALLER PIZZAS!!! If it only happened once, I wouldn't have brought it up. But it happens ALL THE TIME. Restaurants DO offer smaller portions, or try to... then nobody buys them. I ate out with a (scrawny) couple who both ordered the same entree, then they both proceeded to eat just a tiny portion (no complaint about the order), then they both left the bulk of it for the dumpster. DAH! Restaurants will glady split an order and bring another plate. Or box it up for you to take home. I just knew that those two made a regular habit of nibbling then tossing the rest.

Buffets!!! I wonder what the stats are there for food consumed vs. food wasted!!! They should charge extra if the customer doesn't clean their plate (or, charge all customers the same but give a rebate for those who clean their plates). OMG. I've seen families literally empty an entire bin of an item (ex. eggrolls, or shrimp) then leave it on the table virtually untouched when they go. Or- rather- if there are kids (anyone under 25 ) the remaining food is all over the floor.

I've personally grabbed food from other tables in restaurants too. Hey, if I observed the patron the whole time and I know it's untouched, and they didn't sneeze all over it, then I'm all over it. You should see the looks of shock and disgust I've gotten by doing that. Actually, what should be shocking is that almost nobody DOES do that.

I'm a farmboy, alright? I love farm animals. We had crops too. I know the work it takes to produce commodities. It makes me LIVID when people treat food so callously, ESPECIALLY meats. Taking a bite out of a sandwich and tossing the rest means that poor animal gave it's life in vain. There shouldn't be any legal penalty for me if I go kick someone's *** for wasting meat, should there? If there was any justice there wouldn't be.

Reminds me- I was out for supper yesterday and when I arrived at the restaurant on my electric bicycle I parked next to an SUV, which I noted was idling and there was nobody in it. OK, so I order, wait, eat, take my time, all that. Finally I leave and that damned SUV is STILL idling. They must have wanted to run the A/C? Well it was 75 and dry out!!! It took all my willpower not to approach Mr. Idleballs and tell him "Did you know the U.S. has 3% of the world's population yet consumes 50% of the world's energy?" but I refrained because... well... who am I to ruin some stranger's dinner out? And would that have the desired effect anyway? Was I wrong to let it slide? What I'd really like to do is go in there, shut it off and grab the keys, and throw them on the nearest roof. But then I'D be the one in trouble! Go figure!

Dumpsters- ya know, I never set out to be a dumpster diver; it just happened by accident. There is SO MUCH in there that's perfectly good that the crime is in NOT taking it and properly utilizing it. As noted above, local bidnesses frown on diving and have gone to compactors, completely removing outside access to the goodies. They suck. It's not like they lost any sales. I wasn't going to purchase any of that stuff in the first place, and I don't go in there to purchase it now, and as far as that being "theft", well by putting it in the dumpster they essentially declared it was waste to them right? But I was more than happy to salvage it.

It's not a question of what I can afford. I can buy tons of crap just like everybody else. I just have this thing about waste I guess.
I agree with you 100% I drew a mans wages at 11 driving a tractor I am responsible for growing fruit and vegetables that fed millions. I have a right to EAT! Dumpster diving can be so much fun I was introduced to it as a teen when a friend and I were invited to a party we didn't have any money or gift we went behind a store and found a fifty pound bag of onions we threw away about five onions that were bad. They liked the present and I'll bet they used them. We have something called spring cleaning hear where anything big you want to put out the county will pick up. Wow wood stoves, bbqs, fishing tackle, lab equipment, bikes, campers, furniture, I even picked up a zodiac raft I figured it ripped or something I could repair it. When I inflated it, it was good as new! One lady was putting a new bike to the curb my friend pulled up asked her what was the matter with it, she said my husband rode it once it's got a flat. It was just low on air. You could build and furnish a house with what gets thrown away here. People also tear down houses during this time so doors, windows, plumbing, wiring, everything a house is made out of, or furnished with is on the curb. I built so many things out of it, all free. Of course I aquired quite a junk pile when I finally put it on the curb someone else picked it up in less than an hour.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidethebox View Post
I agree with you 100% I drew a mans wages at 11 driving a tractor I am responsible for growing fruit and vegetables that fed millions. I have a right to EAT! Dumpster diving can be so much fun I was introduced to it as a teen when a friend and I were invited to a party we didn't have any money or gift we went behind a store and found a fifty pound bag of onions we threw away about five onions that were bad. They liked the present and I'll bet they used them. We have something called spring cleaning hear where anything big you want to put out the county will pick up. Wow wood stoves, bbqs, fishing tackle, lab equipment, bikes, campers, furniture, I even picked up a zodiac raft I figured it ripped or something I could repair it. When I inflated it, it was good as new! One lady was putting a new bike to the curb my friend pulled up asked her what was the matter with it, she said my husband rode it once it's got a flat. It was just low on air. You could build and furnish a house with what gets thrown away here. People also tear down houses during this time so doors, windows, plumbing, wiring, everything a house is made out of, or furnished with is on the curb. I built so many things out of it, all free. Of course I aquired quite a junk pile when I finally put it on the curb someone else picked it up in less than an hour.
I know of a few people in different areas that go around picking up free "damaged" things, fixing them, like reupholstering furniture (with recycled materials, usually from other projects), and then sells them at store front.

The only thing about these guys that isn't legal, is that they all reside inside their stores, which aren't zoned for residential use. They haven't been bothered about that, they usually only get bothered when a "new" customer recognizes something they threw out, and throws a fit about him selling "garbage".

Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Neon - '95 Dodge Neon
Last 3: 49.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I know of a few people in different areas that go around picking up free "damaged" things, fixing them, like reupholstering furniture (with recycled materials, usually from other projects), and then sells them at store front.

The only thing about these guys that isn't legal, is that they all reside inside their stores, which aren't zoned for residential use. They haven't been bothered about that, they usually only get bothered when a "new" customer recognizes something they threw out, and throws a fit about him selling "garbage".
I have looked at a lot of the abandoned store and industrial buildings I never bought one but you could make a great living space because the cost is very small per foot some down to a dollar or two. A friend built a shop and put his home on the second floor I guess it's common some places it sure is cost effective and the commute to work
Old 07-30-2009, 03:20 AM   #36 (permalink)

All depends on the zoning as to whether you can legally do that or not. I'd love to do it, since I think most old warehouses have a certain character to them. And giant masonry buildings kinda lend themselves to green remodeling, as well.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:47 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I know a few people who somehow manage to regularly spend more money than they have. Does that count?
Can you direct them to me? I have things I want to sell to them.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #38 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
You scavengers and dumpster divers need to be careful about what foods you salvage. I worked a career with the FDA, and was responsible for many companies throwing away thousands of pounds of adulterated food. Sometimes it contained rodent excreta, or live insect larvae, or was contaminated with (invisible) bacteria. Other times some of the cans were exploding, or the product contained a cancer-causing illegal color additive. I always recommended they render it unfit for use as food, by pouring oil or soap onto it, to protect you scavengers. But these were voluntary actions on their part (to keep me from recommending legal action against them), so I couldn't tell them what to do with their product. When you eat someone's discarded food, you always run the risk of eating something that's unfit for food.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #39 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
It's just like fixing a car; you inspect what you have to work with and utilize what's still good instead of just throwing new materials at it.

I used to have a source for bags and bags of Doritos. But I guess they figured that someone utilizing their DISCARDED out-of-date product was cutting into sales so they started OPENING the previously un-opened product and pouring soap water into it. Eh holes. The scavenging wasn't affecting their sales one iota.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #40 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
It's just like fixing a car; you inspect what you have to work with and utilize what's still good instead of just throwing new materials at it.

I used to have a source for bags and bags of Doritos. But I guess they figured that someone utilizing their DISCARDED out-of-date product was cutting into sales so they started OPENING the previously un-opened product and pouring soap water into it. Eh holes. The scavenging wasn't affecting their sales one iota.

i hate that too

i used to deliver donuts by truck. instead of giving them away, my manager used to toss TRAYS (up to 10) of day-olds in the trash. i wanted to give them to a shelter but she used words like "freshness" and "liability"
plus i dont really eat donuts