View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 02:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
instarx
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairdinkumfrankies View Post
Wow,
I like these ideas. Now just where do I put it? On the very bottom of the bumper or farther back? Mounting points like on the volvo are easy while on the Geo farther back (better IMHO) would be difficult.
Your mounting points look almost identical to the Volvo so if you go for the PVC gutter material it would fit right along the bottom lip of the front bumber cover. The short section of the inverted L faces forward. Your second picture shows a perfect mounting area across the entire front of the car, and it even curves back toward the tires at the sides . Almost exactly the same as on my Volvo. I bet it will look great. You will have to cut away some of the L where those 3 center projections are, but I had to cut away some plastic where my fog lamps were mounted. It takes a bit of trial and error fitting, but the gutter material is very easy to modify with a small hand saw.

Just don't cut it too short by mistake. Cut it too long and then trim it shorter when you fit it. (don't ask how I know this). In my final version I ended up leaving it six inches too long and then bending three inches of it 90 degrees inward at each end to form two vertical mounting tabs that fit against the wheel well.

Also, if I had to do mine over I would make the horizontal forward-facing part of the L longer. Mine is about an inch but I would make it 2 inches and trim where needed. Basically the L part is one long mounting tab, and a two-inch tab is easier to attach to the car. Sorry about having no pictures but my camera is broken.

Your Geo sits lower than my AWD Volvo, so watch out for those curbs.

Last edited by instarx; 07-31-2009 at 07:18 AM..