Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yaris - '10 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 42.39 mpg (US)

Fiesta - '11 Ford Fiesta SE
Wow,
I like these ideas. Now just where do I put it? On the very bottom of the bumper or farther back? Mounting points like on the volvo are easy while on the Geo farther back (better IMHO) would be difficult.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yaris - '10 Toyota Yaris

Here is what I am working with:

Old 07-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yaris - '10 Toyota Yaris

Are vortex generators good for shapes like my red car above?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairdinkumfrankies View Post
Wow,
I like these ideas. Now just where do I put it? On the very bottom of the bumper or farther back? Mounting points like on the volvo are easy while on the Geo farther back (better IMHO) would be difficult.
Your mounting points look almost identical to the Volvo so if you go for the PVC gutter material it would fit right along the bottom lip of the front bumber cover. The short section of the inverted L faces forward. Your second picture shows a perfect mounting area across the entire front of the car, and it even curves back toward the tires at the sides . Almost exactly the same as on my Volvo. I bet it will look great. You will have to cut away some of the L where those 3 center projections are, but I had to cut away some plastic where my fog lamps were mounted. It takes a bit of trial and error fitting, but the gutter material is very easy to modify with a small hand saw.

Just don't cut it too short by mistake. Cut it too long and then trim it shorter when you fit it. (don't ask how I know this). In my final version I ended up leaving it six inches too long and then bending three inches of it 90 degrees inward at each end to form two vertical mounting tabs that fit against the wheel well.

Also, if I had to do mine over I would make the horizontal forward-facing part of the L longer. Mine is about an inch but I would make it 2 inches and trim where needed. Basically the L part is one long mounting tab, and a two-inch tab is easier to attach to the car. Sorry about having no pictures but my camera is broken.

Your Geo sits lower than my AWD Volvo, so watch out for those curbs.

Last edited by instarx; 07-31-2009 at 07:18 AM..
Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
fairdinkumfrankies -

I vote for instarx' mod with the bigger mounting tab :

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post

Also, if I had to do mine over I would make the horizontal forward-facing part of the L longer. Mine is about an inch but I would make it 2 inches and trim where needed. Basically the L part is one long mounting tab, and a two-inch tab is easier to attach to the car. Sorry about having no pictures but my camera is broken.

Your Geo sits lower than my AWD Volvo, so watch out for those curbs.
What's nice is that if it works for you, you could also use it for side skirts.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Greenslug - '99 Mazda Protege LX
90 day: 37.94 mpg (US)
I went to the auto wrecking yard and scrouged my air dam from an chevy pick 4WD. Actually enjoyed the hell out of myself.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Faille - '89 Mazda MX-6 GT
Slanting the front dam down and back?

Would there be a benefit to the front dam slanting downward and under the car instead of it being flat (vertical)? Would a belly pan be needed to really aid in this at all? I am trying to think through my front-end mod. Wondering if the flat (vertical) dam routes the air out and around the vehicle or if it also forces the air lower? I might mock something up with tape\newspaper\cardboard just to see how it looks as a shape. Posting a pick might aid in discussion.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Faille - '89 Mazda MX-6 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod 5.0 View Post
Would there be a benefit to the front dam slanting downward and under the car instead of it being flat (vertical)? Would a belly pan be needed to really aid in this at all? I am trying to think through my front-end mod. Wondering if the flat (vertical) dam routes the air out and around the vehicle or if it also forces the air lower? I might mock something up with tape\newspaper\cardboard just to see how it looks as a shape. Posting a pick might aid in discussion.
Or do i really want to slope FORWARD? Sloping back would increase lift under the car?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
drilled and slotted rotors huh? cover up your rims man...nt

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear
Old 08-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yaris - '10 Toyota Yaris

Isaac,

I have been a user of cross-drilled rotors for years now. I used them because they never seem to warp under non-racing conditions. We first put them on a Taurus wagon that had a rotor warping problem (driving conditions were stop and go) and it solved it. Now I buy them for all of my main drivers. My wife will get a set when my new job starts. Only about $80 vs. $40 for stock. I was hoping to find some aero light weight wheels for a nicer car. That would look more hip, this one is a faithful beater. I also posted the photo because someone commented in another thread that they had a braking problem that was the result of hypermiling and for the post that had a concern over cooling w/full covers (pizza pan mod). I do have wheel covers on the car now and no one can see these babies. My car inspection guy loved it. His words "on a Geo??!". I told him it was for longevity. Thanks for noticing LOL!