View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
eco86
Almost fuel free!

If I am correct, I believe that your Zuma uses a horizontal-style Minarelli engine (2 stroke). Synthetic oil probably won't help much, as a 2 stroke engine burns its oil along with the fuel.
I would suggest adding slightly heavier roller weights in the CVT, as this will help the engine to shift up to a higher gear ratio at a lower RPM. This will probably hurt your acceleration. While you are replacing the rollers, check to see if there is a restrictor on the CVT that blocks it from reaching the highest gear. 49ccscoot.com has a detailed tech section that explains where to check for restrictions on the engine and CVT. Also provoscooter.com has a how-to section that provides detailed pictures on de-restricting the CVT assembly.
Be very careful if you decide to lean the carburetor, as 2 stroke engines are rather prone to sudden engine failure if they run too lean (the oil is injected into the engine along with the fuel, if the fuel is reduced, the oil is reduced too). Having just replaced a piston on my scooter (minarelli clone engine), I can say that I would rather the engine ran slightly rich than have to rebuild the engine every 4K miles. Again, provoscooter.com has an article in the how-to section on reading spark plugs on 2 stroke engines to determine how rich or lean your engine is running.
Hope that helps.