Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Zuma - '04 Yamaha Zuma
90 day: 72.37 mpg (US)

Aveo2004 - '04 Chevrolet Aveo
90 day: 36.45 mpg (US)
Any Mods for a Yamaha Zuma?

I have a 2004 Yamaha Zuma scooter, I usually get around 75 mpg. Are there any aero mods or part replacements that can get me better mileage? I'd love to shoot for 100 mpg.
Do performance exhausts result in better or worse mileage?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
cheap yet balla

buster - '97 JEEP Grand Cherokee LTD
Send a message via AIM to energy0uth
mmmm...after a quick glance on their site I would say give it a longer front fender over that wheel and modify the fairing if you want to get that into it. That would be some decent aero improvements and add a large windscreen you could duck behind at higher speeds or anyone really.

As for exhaust you could straighten the pipe out and get rid of the plastic but the possible resistance you would get from wind my not be worth it. Could always lower it too.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Yamaha C3 Scooter Rider

Yamaha C3 Scooter - '07 yamaha C3 Scooter
90 day: 113.67 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to gabe502000
Turtle Zuma Mods

If you'll go to <www.scootertime.net> there's some folks that ride Zumas over there that are modding them for more speed and economy. Gabe
Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Yamaha C3 Scooter Rider

A switch to Amsoil synthetic lube in your transmission will suprise you with how much smoothness it will add which translates into fuel economy. With my 4 stroke Yamaha C3 the switch to full synthetic lubes gave a 4mpg gain.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Yamaha C3 Scooter Rider

I recently put a jiangwayne exhaust on my scooter which not only gave an "across the board" power increase, but also added 3 more mpg. Now, this is a 4 stroke engine with EFI , a computer, and all of the whistles and bells, with sensors all over the place. If you put an exhaust on your two stroke Yamaha you'll need to install a larger main Jet in your carburetor to keep from getting too lean and burning something up. There's a forum <www.scooterdawg.net> where they are really into mods and are nice people who will help you. Gabe
Old 07-26-2009, 02:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Yamaha C3 Scooter Rider

Zuma Mods

Hello Kopid03, There's a site <www.scootertime.net> where a lot of the members ride Zumas that you can go to..... There are aftermarlet sliding weights by a company, Dr.Pulley, you can replace the roller weights in your variator with that will help. You can put the next tallest tire on your back wheel (that will fit without clearance issues) an old hot rodder's trick that will give you a higher final drive ratio...A good wax job is always good for a half of a mpg! a wider drive belt (that rides higher in the variator pulley and thus gives a higher drive ratio,) works if you can source a belt.... Search the net for Zuma owner's forums, There Is one but I can't remember the address. An aftermarket exhaust does a lot of good, just be aware that with a carburetored engine, especially a two stroke, that opening the exhaust up will flow much more air than the carburetor is jetted for and could make it run lean enough to burn a piston... The reason I pointed you towards scootertime and zuma foruns, both sites have members that are heavily into modding their zumas to make them be all that they can. Gabe

Last edited by gabe502000; 07-26-2009 at 03:10 AM..
Old 07-26-2009, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2 strokes and variator transmissions require a specialized approach to economy.

Dont believe half the above....

Big rear tyre good.

Heavier rollers will improve things slightly

Scooter cooling systems work 100% even when cold. A big problem for economy.

Torque tuning (mid range rpm) is preferred for economy.

The means keep the standard exhaust and air intake box, and go for a smaller main jet and drop(lower) the needle jet 1 notch, get a slightly colder plug. Your performance will decrease a lot doing this.

Forget the amsoil adverts, you are not racing, the cheap **** will do, but semi synthetic is best. Will not help FE really.

Sell and buy a Honda today 140mpg US or a Honda cub 170mpg.

My Yamaha Super Jog Next Zone does about 75mpg too, but it is the super fast GT model...

4 strokes are way better for FE...and cleaner
Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Yamaha C3 Scooter Rider

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflame View Post
2 strokes and variator transmissions require a specialized approach to economy.

Dont believe half the above....

Big rear tyre good.

Heavier rollers will improve things slightly

Scooter cooling systems work 100% even when cold. A big problem for economy.

Torque tuning (mid range rpm) is preferred for economy.

The means keep the standard exhaust and air intake box, and go for a smaller main jet and drop(lower) the needle jet 1 notch, get a slightly colder plug. Your performance will decrease a lot doing this.

Forget the amsoil adverts, you are not racing, the cheap **** will do, but semi synthetic is best. Will not help FE really.

Sell and buy a Honda today 140mpg US or a Honda cub 170mpg.

My Yamaha Super Jog Next Zone does about 75mpg too, but it is the super fast GT model...

4 strokes are way better for FE...and cleaner
Except for the wider drive belt (something someone else figured out) , everything I said in my previous post I've done and found to be true.The reason I haven't gone to smaller jetting and kept the stock exhaust is that my scooter has EFI.Between the Amsoil Synthetic oil , the taller rear tire, and the aftermarket pipe, I gained a good 10 mpg and 5 mph. I've got mpg figures posted here to back it up. I guess I shouldn't confuse you with the facts! C'mon now! Give us mpg amd mph figures that you've actually gotten when you started looking for more of both of them. (The good and not so good.) Not what you think. Isn't that what this Forum's all about? Gabe

Last edited by gabe502000; 07-30-2009 at 01:31 PM..
Old 08-02-2009, 04:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe502000 View Post
Except for the wider drive belt (something someone else figured out) , everything I said in my previous post I've done and found to be true.The reason I haven't gone to smaller jetting and kept the stock exhaust is that my scooter has EFI.Between the Amsoil Synthetic oil , the taller rear tire, and the aftermarket pipe, I gained a good 10 mpg and 5 mph. I've got mpg figures posted here to back it up. I guess I shouldn't confuse you with the facts! C'mon now! Give us mpg amd mph figures that you've actually gotten when you started looking for more of both of them. (The good and not so good.) Not what you think. Isn't that what this Forum's all about? Gabe

The larger tyre will do those improvements all on in own

Please dont confuse me with facts.... but explain how Amsoil increases FE?

C'mon now!

Just coz you got posted figures dont mean they are correct? Just as someone who aint got no figures is wrong.

Thats a faulty syllogism
Old 08-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Almost fuel free!

If I am correct, I believe that your Zuma uses a horizontal-style Minarelli engine (2 stroke). Synthetic oil probably won't help much, as a 2 stroke engine burns its oil along with the fuel.
I would suggest adding slightly heavier roller weights in the CVT, as this will help the engine to shift up to a higher gear ratio at a lower RPM. This will probably hurt your acceleration. While you are replacing the rollers, check to see if there is a restrictor on the CVT that blocks it from reaching the highest gear. 49ccscoot.com has a detailed tech section that explains where to check for restrictions on the engine and CVT. Also provoscooter.com has a how-to section that provides detailed pictures on de-restricting the CVT assembly.
Be very careful if you decide to lean the carburetor, as 2 stroke engines are rather prone to sudden engine failure if they run too lean (the oil is injected into the engine along with the fuel, if the fuel is reduced, the oil is reduced too). Having just replaced a piston on my scooter (minarelli clone engine), I can say that I would rather the engine ran slightly rich than have to rebuild the engine every 4K miles. Again, provoscooter.com has an article in the how-to section on reading spark plugs on 2 stroke engines to determine how rich or lean your engine is running.
Hope that helps.

Reply  Post New Thread