View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Plumb it is.

I had a piece of 1/8" plexi around so the end is filled with the table saw shaped piece. The sides are black coroplast for now but I think I will pop in the twin wall lexan when I get some more. The bottom is not filled yet but I have some "clear" coroplast which will probably fill that function

Construction details... Drilled and tapped for 8-32 pan head stainless machine screws.

I'm not totally satisfied with the look of this. I think it needs a radius at the end at the top corners and along the lexan seam. I can fix this later. I also want to make a side detail that reflects curves of the stainless scimitar panels.

There she is 90% done and driveable. As a fun design accident, the trailing edge has a trip angle to it.

Wake area reduction is approximately 7 sq feet. from about 28 to 21 so almost 1/3 reduction, if my math is right. It sure will be interesting to see how that feels at highway speed. Who knows what the un-modded bottom half does to the air. We shall see.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.