View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 02:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
2008 Pontiac Vibe / Toyota Matrix

2008 Pontiac Vibe / Toyota Matrix
2003-2008 Eco-Versatility Award

"New United Motor Manufacturing Inc." or NUMMI is printed on stickers under the hood. What's up with that?

That's the name given the to the GM/Toyota joint venture in Fremont, CA. The unique situation is the History of a UAW manufacturing agreement between General Motors and Toyota, at a facility that has produced Union-made vehicles, such as the:

Chevy Nova (1984-1988)
Geo/Chevy Prizm / Toyota Corolla (1998-2002)
Pontiac Vibe / Toyota Matrix (2003-Present)
...and other vehicles exported abroad.

Background: The Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix were introduced in 2003 as a compact wagon to provide an answer to those looking for a performance-oriented Corolla Wagon, or a domestically-nameplated, small utility vehicle. The secret? Essentially a tall, extended Corolla with GM parts (radio, miscellaneous parts, etc.) + great FE to boot.

That was 5 model-years ago. The problem is this: I rented several of both variants over the course, and the FE wasn't stellar.

Confession: Hypermiling rehab is a slow a steady process. I used to set the cruise for 6 MPH over the limit. That ended up being 76 in a 70. With the A/C running in the summer, the transmission was quick to downshift on modest hills, and was quite erratic. The FE suffered terribly. I gave it a shot at the speed limit and no more...

This was the only 4-cylinder vehicle available on the lot (mid-week slim-pickins). I hopped-in and gave it another try. Nowadays, I set it for the limit and let it ride. That made all the difference in the World.

On the Inside: The vehicle accomplishes so much in its totality, that I refuse to stress minor inconsistencies. The interior trim is basic and plasticky, but who cares? The look and substance exudes durability.

Feature content includes a 115V inverter to plug in AC items (for me -- perfect: I'm too cheap to buy an i-Pod, so I use my laptop as an MP3 player and pipe the sound through the speakers through an FM transmitter). Some vehicle models offer an auxiliary input (not in this case). Rock on...

The cargo area is where this vehicle shines brightly. The rear seats fold flat (including the front passenger seat) to allow the transport of long items. It's a true wagon, so expect that sort of utility (and appearance).

Rear seat passengers may find the legroom cramped if adults are passengers. If kids are the ride-alongs, then perfect -- no worries.

On the Outside: The Toyota is more streamlined and Sporty, while the Pontiac displays durability and simple functionality. My test model offered foglamps, a rear wiper, and side skirts. Just speculation: later models seem to offer better aero than previous.

The Drive: Seating position is perhaps the weakest link. Think: SUV height and feel. I had no problem setting the seat to a higher height, moved the seat back and adjusted the tilt wheel. The problem is, some drivers may find this uncomfortable. I'm not at all tall, at 5' 9", with short legs. The position wasn't too bad -- although the ideal setup prohibited viewing the top of the instrument cluster through the wheel top (duck-n-view). If you're unsure of this seat, visit a dealer and give it a shot (the Corolla is very similar).

Cubbies and cupholders abound. Handling is sprite, as is throttle response and acceleration. If you keep the speed down, downshifts are infrequent, and the FE total will thank you. At 60, the engine turns at about 2500. Road noise is adequate, and blind-spots minimal.

Features: The Toyota is more "upscale" in outward appearance. A 5-speed or 6-speed manual is available, as is a higher horsepower 1.8L and/or AWD (up to 2007).

Used Analysis: A 2003 Vibe 5-speed can be picked-up for $8K, on upwards to a fully loaded '08 Matrix XRS for 22K. The vehicle essentially hasn't changed since its inception, so you can get the same feature content at a reduced price when purchasing used. In addition, Edmunds.com rated the Matrix/Vibe a "Used Car Best Bet" for reliability, etc.

Vehicle Specs:
2008 Pontiac Vibe Base
Engine: 1.8L Toyota Powerplant with VVT -- rated at 126 HP and 122 lb-ft torque
Transmission: 4-speed Automatic
Price as Tested: $16,500
EPA Class: Small Station Wagon
EPA FE: 25 City / 31 Highway

Raw Data:
FE Average: 35.5 MPG
Average Speed: 57 MPH
Distance Driven: 455 Miles
Route: Kansas City - Wichita, KS - Kansas City (hit rush hour on the return)
Temp: 40F - 55F
Wind Speed vs. Heading: NW @ 5 MPH. Course 1 = SSW; Return = NNE
Next Year: Complete Re-design

Conclusion: Brilliant!

RH77

_
_