View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
chevy volt hybrid

As you all should know, the volt is a hybrid. Calling it something else is just lies sprinkled with B.S.. And its release is in a perpetual state of being moved out, and the price tag continually increased ($40k now I believe).

While the theoretical performance of the engine looks like 50mpg (who knows how optimistic that is), I think it stinks, for many reasons:

The execs are B.S.ing everyone, calling it something other than a hybrid. and trying to act like most users won't be doing most of their miles on gas.

It is a gasser, "oh I forgot to plug in my volt, me too, I just let the engine recharge it, plugging it in is too much of a bother". Because of this any electric only miles are bogus.

Why don't they just pull the (i'm sure terribly over-complicated) engine and fuel/exhaust/cooling systems and put batteries in there place and have an honest 80 mile range pure EV, and quit the crap (and probably be able to cut the price)? They are doing a ton of dino-based R&D I'm sure that is killing their EV potential.

GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ARSES GM OR GIVE ME MY TAXES BACK!!!