Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
chevy volt hybrid

As you all should know, the volt is a hybrid. Calling it something else is just lies sprinkled with B.S.. And its release is in a perpetual state of being moved out, and the price tag continually increased ($40k now I believe).

While the theoretical performance of the engine looks like 50mpg (who knows how optimistic that is), I think it stinks, for many reasons:

The execs are B.S.ing everyone, calling it something other than a hybrid. and trying to act like most users won't be doing most of their miles on gas.

It is a gasser, "oh I forgot to plug in my volt, me too, I just let the engine recharge it, plugging it in is too much of a bother". Because of this any electric only miles are bogus.

Why don't they just pull the (i'm sure terribly over-complicated) engine and fuel/exhaust/cooling systems and put batteries in there place and have an honest 80 mile range pure EV, and quit the crap (and probably be able to cut the price)? They are doing a ton of dino-based R&D I'm sure that is killing their EV potential.

GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ARSES GM OR GIVE ME MY TAXES BACK!!!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I support the push for PHEV, but not trying to trick us into thinking it is pure EV, but o well

I don't really think the car is going to go very far, and GM has probably spent more money on SUVs than that car in the last year anyway
Old 08-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I would hope that the people who would buy a car like that are the same that are looking for a plug vehicle and that their friends take enough notice of it that they set up a charging station at their home and at their work, otherwise they will be disappointed in it and sell it to someone who would charge it.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...what happened to good old "TRUTH in SALES(Lending)?"

...Oh, that's right, GM and Chrysler are under government "leadership" now, sorry I asked such a stupid question.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hyundai Accent - '01 Hyundai Accent
90 day: 38.4 mpg (US)

Gixer - '97 Suzuki GSXR600
90 day: 43.12 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
It is a gasser, "oh I forgot to plug in my volt, me too, I just let the engine recharge it, plugging it in is too much of a bother". Because of this any electric only miles are bogus.
I completely disagree. I know most people don't understand or care what their cars are doing, or about subtle changes in fuel economy. But the difference in the engine running on the way to work and not running on the way to work is anything but subtle. The vast majority of people who buy this car will probably plug it in at every opportunity.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse.rizzo View Post
I completely disagree. I know most people don't understand or care what their cars are doing, or about subtle changes in fuel economy. But the difference in the engine running on the way to work and not running on the way to work is anything but subtle. The vast majority of people who buy this car will probably plug it in at every opportunity.
That is certainly the way i would drive one, the ICE motor would only be used for longer distances and then only to allow me to make it home with a fairly depleted battery, assuming that the elecronics will allow that level of conntrol, they probaly won't though as that would assume the average driver is not a complete ..........
Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I just wanted a friggen electric car, not all this crap. Just put an electric motor and batteries in an existing small platform car and sell it already!! What the frip?

Unbelievable. This marriage to Gas is not helping delivery dates, and B.S.ing isn't helping public opinion.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
I'm almost certain GM was simply milking government alternative energy programs to take free money in with no intention of selling a product. Those of us wanting a BEV will get the Nissan Leaf in 2010. It'll be far cheaper than the Volt, and be a true plug-in EV with a 100 mile range. That's enough for the vast majority of daily commuters.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
100 miles is just outside my longest trips, but I can plug in everywhere I go, basically.

While I'd love to see/get the Volt, I probably never will, due to the price tag and other nuances of GM. I wouldn't necessarily call GM scammers, but they're leading up to that opinion with certainty, aren't they?

Please, fellow Ecomodders, remember: We are not the norm. Although it seems like we are when we're in company of each other, it's a fallacy to think that we are the average. While we may put up and plug in at every opportunity (especially the ones that don't cost us money directly....), the average person probably will not be compelled to do the same, based solely on the fact that "The engine recharges the batteries." Just like in the Prius and Insight models.

Sure, people have converted both of those to plug ins, but far more people "just drive them" and "expect them to work".

Reply  Post New Thread