View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
I thought I would post these which I made last year. I can't remember the values I used but I have not been able to reproduce them since.

I notice now that the angle of the kamm on the second video is just a touch too steep as there is some separation there. Who knows how accurate these are. I have been scouring aerohead's images for the best angle for the afterbody. It seems to range from 10 to 22 degrees. I measured mine again and got 17 degrees on the actual kamm. The video is 22 degrees to the mid point and goes steeper after. I will have to do more tuft testing to be sure on the actual Kamm and I may change the angle depending on how that pans out. My tufting seemed good at 17 but I only got up to about 45 mph.

I updated the annotations to reflect my current understanding of the theory (corrections and clarifications welcome)

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.