View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
naturalextraction
naturalextraction

Having built and rebuilt transmissions in cars and bikes for 20 years now, I've done plenty of study on worn components and to their cause. I ride an 02 SV 650 and live in a mountainous area. The benefits to coasting have been great. I've been coasting daily, yes I drive this even on winter days providing the snow is not an issue, and literally just about every day (I've put as much as 32K in one year) now for 2 years straight on this particular bike and have never had a problem. The coasting alone gets me anywhere from 15 to 26 extra miles per tank. I also shut the bike off at lights knowing I'll have about 3 minuets as I roll up on a yellow. (not all lights, just when it seems appropriate, no need for a starter yet either.) Depending on the amount of city to rural driving makes a big difference on mileage. Bike clutches have less rotational parts to worry about, like throughout bearing. The cable and connection pieces also don't seem to ever be a problem even with my high mileage driving. I don't use the clutch much for up shifting or down shifting anyway.
I have some heavy duty Barnett clutches and springs on my Turbo 82 Yamaha (no they didn't make one that year it's a custom job) and the only difference of course is holding in the clutch for any length of time. But I'm used to it and it's truly not a concern. I figure I coast more than most and I will say though that getting a car in neutral is easier than a motorcycle. Yes a clutch pull is worth it and doesn't seem to provoke any pre-mature wear or hurt anything. It would take many years to really put any fatigue on the metal springs and spacers. By then you need a new clutch pack anyway if you really ride it that much!
PS. A 1946 250 Honda Rebel? That can't be right. 1986 or 96 I can see. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by naturalextraction; 08-15-2009 at 11:01 PM..