View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
dogg38
EcoModding Lurker

Nass-tee - '85 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
First things first, thanks for the insightful comment's and discussion.

Let me come at this another way. Take your basic premise improving fuel economy of your daily driver. You've covered all basics already tune-up, tire pressure so on so forth. I myself would start like this:

1.) reduce wheel dia. and mount lower profile tires within reason to lower the relative effective gear ratio of the rear-end or trans-axle. this may also improve aerodynamics too, by lowering ride height.

2.) better air filter

3.) on the exhaust side; header(s), free flowing catalytic converter, muffler

4.) replace camshaft with one that develops torque at earlier rpm range ( they used to call RV grinds )

5.) have automatic trans modified or replace with manual unit

6.) lower rear-end or trans-axle gear ratio ( example: 3.73:1 to 3.42:1 or 2.73:1 ), keep in mind a lower gear ratio requires more torque, but that's where the smaller dia. wheel and tire package really helps out

7.) install a second battery, battery selector switch, alternator cutout switch, and a solar cell battery charger, ( most of these item's preferable marine grade, deep cycle hold a charge longer, selector switch should be able either battery, both or off, also acts theft deterrent, alternator cutout should be rated twice the ampere output, and suitable fused )

8.) now lets add a gauge package: vacuum, amp, second voltmeter, fuel pressure, and transmission temp. ( vacuum can be labeled fuel economy, amp lets you know the batteries state of charge or discharge, should be selectable to either battery or wire in a second one, and transmission temp. helps with peace of mind whether auto or manual, after pricey mods )

9.) lets improve lubrication: aftermarket oil coolers for engine and trans, even additional engine, plus trans fluid filter.

10.) if equipped to handle E85, change fuel system components: aftermarket fuel cell, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel line (combination stainless steel and flexible braided), aftermarket fuel delivery components rated to handle E85

note; there have been a couple of published studies done on the effects lower grades ethanol blends on non E85 equipped vehicles

11.) suitable used laptop with software to benchmark, monitor, and troubleshoot:

12.) enhanced driving techniques for r & d to pull it altogether

Future mods would most likely include engine rebuild, balance and blueprint, rework, port match and bench-flow heads

That should be enough for most average modders to handle.

P. S. Oh, I almost forgot the intake system, stay tuned got to get some sleep for 2nd shift. Keep on wrenchin, let know what you think.