View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Eddles
EcoModding Apprentice

Eddles's Astra - '01 Vauxhall Astra ECO4
90 day: 61.03 mpg (US)
Wow, I learn a lot every day!

Just a few more questions:

I've forgotten about the environmental temperature sensor which is roughly in the middle of the lower grille. As the ECU use the information from that sensor, and the cabin temperature display use that information as well, I believe it would be better to have accurate information from that sensor. I remember when I used a work's van, a Vauxhall Combo, it had a faulty temperature sensor, it was showing 66.5 degrees C (151.5 degrees F) and the diesel engine (exact same engine as mine but with a common rail injection system) took well over a minute to start each time I used it, I suspect it's because the ECU doesn't use the glowplugs at all. That's certainly not what we want! It could be a different problem, however.

So I guess I should make a tube through the grill block so the temperature sensor would get accurate information? Or end the left block just over the temperature sensor?

Second question - should I edge the block straight, or slope the edge, so the grill block would "funnel" air torwards the intercooler and the air intake pipe? I think I'll be putting the block on top of the grille, and making the block flush with the surface of the bumper.

Finally, how should I attach the block to the lower grille? I need to make it easy to remove in case the engine gets too hot. So something like glue would be out of the question.

So that's 4 jobs:

1) Get rid of air-con
2) Make a duct from the lower grill to the air intake
3) Completely block the upper grill by stuffing something between the slats - someone suggested central heating pipe insulation.
4) If step 3 doesn't heat the engine too much, then make a surface block on the lower grill but making sure the intercooler, air intake duct and temperature sensor is exposed. Make sure that the block will be easy enough to take out. I will leave the bottom-most grill slat alone. I can always stuff that to experiment in the winter.

Sounds good?

Thanks so very much to everyone for your advice, much appreciated!

My aim: to achieve 3L/100km.
Best tank @ 65mph: 864.2 miles 69.36MPGus 3.4l/100km