View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
woodsmith
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
Christ and Hermie,
I think I have an easy way to aid in solving this disagreement. First, was a spoiler standard equipment or was it an option? Or perhaps this spoiler was an after-market add-on? If every single stock MR2 has a spoiler, it is possible that there was an engineering reason for it. However, if this spoiler was an after-market job, then it is almost certainly to be more fashion statement than safety or handling requirement.

Still, I've come across a relative few situations where a spoiler produced a measurable improvement in safe handling at normal highway speeds.
This spoiler is an aftermarket one to replace the one that was on the car. I have yet to see an MR2 without a spoiler at all and that could just be down to the usual types of owner prefering a spoiler or wing of any description as well as the factory fit option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
woodsmith -

How about the following :

1 - Take off the horizontal part.
2 - Use the sides as framework for a Kamm-Back.
3 - Spend lots of time and effort making it reversible (this is optional).

Benefits :
- Kamm Back may improve range
- Reversible in case you want to return to the OEM look

Problems :
- Won't make any money selling the spoiler
- Maybe a lot of effort that won't pay off (depends on your POV)

CarloSW2
I like that idea but not sure about the amount of body work involved to get it to look and act right not how the insurance company and the IVA will treat it.

I would probably only go as far as blanking off redundent vents and holes and maybe covering over the rear wheel arches.