View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I agree that red-light running is a big problem, but there's a civil liberty question at stake with using cameras. We're starting to get them here too...

So, it begs the question: there's a tractor-trailer riding your bumper. The light turns yellow and there's no escape lane. Run the light, get a ticket and live? ...or slam on the brakes and enjoy the carnage? Studies have shown that the yellow light duration decreases when these are installed. Revenue generators indeed (also for insurance companies).

The scenarios are endless -- so there has to be at least a simultaneous video feed and some sort of human interface instead of an automated "Postcard" ticket. I doubt that's very common.

Speaking of which, there are video cameras at nearly every major intersection here. I'm told they're for accident investigation until they get the "green light" to monitor violators on a continuous basis.

It's like that small town that generates 95% of its operating budget from driving infractions -- it's just not ethical.

So the next time you're EOC-ing down a hill and go 1-MPH over the limit, you better be ready to pay the price.

RH77

_
_