View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #35 (permalink)
AmpEater
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionmovement View Post
Under voltage=lower bulb life and less light. I used to work for OSRAM Sylvania, but since I know you won't listen to me, here's the first link I found: The Truth About Daytime Running Lights | The Truth About Cars

I don't see how the cost, weight, and loss of storage of extra batteries or the possible reliability issues/extra vigilance necessary to eliminate the alternator is worth it. To each their own, but it seems like spending a dollar to save a dime to me.
With a very aerodynamic car I've seen 20% improvement in steady highway cruising with an alt delete. The total system weight need only be 20lbs with lifepo4, 50-60lbs with PbA. I dropped 35lbs by swapping out my starting battery for a tiny AGM.

I spend about $3000/year for fuel. If I save 20% of that, that is $600. I could build a lifepo4 delete for less than that.

All solid state, no moving parts. No belts to break, bearings to go, and no need to deal with the high temperatures under the hood. I could see a reliability increase.....

PS - I believe you that the bulbs wouldn't last as long. This is not the first time I've heard this - low voltages due to corrosion build up are blamed for bulb failure in classic cars.