View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #1203 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I think my brake caliper seized up suddenly, like right before pulling into the driveway.

I don't think it was really dragging before them.

I have tried running the car a bit farther lately.

I talked with my sister's landlord the other day. She lives in a town about 10 miles away. I can make it there and back on a charge, but the car absolutely limps at the end.

I asked her landlord about charging at her place. It's an upper/lower duplex, so he lives downstairs and my sister and brother-in-law live upstairs. I got permission to charge up with a power cord running into their garage when I am working in that town. I promised to bring the landlord garden produce in exchange for vehicle charging.

That's my first official charging station outside of my own garage!
So far, I have charged up once there. The car performed great on the way home. There was plenty of power, and the batteries were very happy!

I also drove my car to my other brother-in-law's house the other day. We were going on a road trip (in his car) so I drove the Electro-Metro to his house - WAY too far to go there and back, but I parked my car in his garage to charge while we were gone. The car drove great on the way home.

Also, I finally drove the Metro up the great big giant hill near my house. It was one of those where I was planning to eventually try going up that hill on a fresh charge on some nice sunny day when there was little traffic.

Instead, I was driving back home tonight, with my wife, from my parent's house, after a very long day. I was on auto-pilot and half-way up the big hill before I thought about it. Oh well, too late to pull over or turn around.

The car went fine up the hill. It did pull plenty of amps, but didn't blow my 250 amp main fuse. It did slow to about 25 mph up the hill, but was ok otherwise. Also, the hill is steeper on one side than the other, and we were going up the side with the slightly gentler slope.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos