View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #2220 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I heard the synkromotive is very good. I can't wait to hear how you like it! They have a couple features that I want to add like including the precharge resistor inside the controller.

I've been writing GCode the old fashioned way (by hand) for various steps of the controller process. The stepper motor drills very well through the copper bus bars. I think I have enough bus bars drilled for about 7 controllers now. Also, I have about 6 control boards etched. I'm waiting on some mosfets from International Rectifier, waiting on a stupid proper solder tip for my Metcal 500p, then I should be able to whip out 3 controllers as quick as you can say a word that is short.

Now I know what it is like to have chinese political and religious prisoners working for you, just like in China. Having a CNC mill is sort of like that. I just sit there and watch it do everything. It's really fun. Sometimes, the computer says, "Can I stop working?". Then I just punch it right in the head. I'm almost done editing the first video of the milling. I was practicing on a piece of wood, since i've never written gcode before. I'll post the video in a few minutes once it's done.

I nearly forgot! My STK500 broke! I accidentally left it out in the rain. Well, I left it out in the volkswagen, which leaks. Also, I needed to order some more atmega8's since Sabrina added them to the website. So, I ordered the cheapo version of the programmer. This one is only $35 instead of the $78 for the stk500! It's called an AVRISP2 I think. It better work good or I'm going to be mad.

I was going to improve the gcode process, but right now I can't think straight very well, since I ate a whole bunch of costco cookies, and I feel really sick.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 08-31-2009 at 09:07 PM..