Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #2211 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
That's a really good idea, Mark. I'll ask Sabrina to add that to the list of stuff.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #2212 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thumbs up

paul i would like to buy one also. thanks
Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #2213 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

How is the beta testing going? Does the fact that you're selling power and control boards mean you don't think there will be any more hardware changes?

And if that's the case, who is organizing the group parts buy? I'd like to get in on that.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #2214 (permalink)
PaulH

Beta testing seems to be going really well. I haven't heard from Joe in a little while, and nothing seems to have blown up. No news is good news. He's using it as a daily driver instead of his curtis 1231C, which was in perpetual whine mode due to the heat.

I'm not sure who's organizing a group buy. mcudogs is making a group purchase of some power sections that he designed. Adam has his own design, I'm going to make some of my own changes too with the new fancy shmancy cnc mill. It's like red hat linux, fedora linux, etc... hehehe. Don't let me stop anyone from any group purchase! part of the group purchase may have to include precision drilled holes in heat spreaders and bus bars or I guess people could do that themselves. Maybe if they have the power section pcb, they could use that as a template for the holes?

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 08-27-2009 at 11:19 AM..
Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #2215 (permalink)
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgoss View Post
How is the beta testing going? Does the fact that you're selling power and control boards mean you don't think there will be any more hardware changes?
Yeah, beta testing is going great! Paul hasn't heard from me in a while simply because there hasn't been much to report (which is good). I don't know for sure, but I've gotta have around 400 mi on the controller without any major problems. I do think the latchup thing should be resolved in case someone has a noisier setup than I do.

Fran suggested an easy way of finding the max Drain/Source voltage spike while driving by using a super simple diode/capacitor circuit and a voltmeter. Sounds simple enough, just gotta do it! I'm spending a lot of time on a charger and getting the air conditioning to work (just in time for fall - oh well).

Otherwise, I don't think there's anything left to do, besides drive it!

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ting-9325.html
Old 08-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #2216 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Has anyone done any alpha testing with an IGBT module? I'm curious as to whether or not one can be used to build a testing power section.

ga2500ev

Last edited by ga2500ev; 08-30-2009 at 01:58 PM..
Old 08-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #2217 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2500ev View Post
Has anyone done any alpha testing with an IGBT module? I'm curious as to whether or not one can be used to build a testing power section.

ga2500ev
From what a friend has said about IGBTs, they need a slightly different drive circuit and are generally better than MOSFETs for voltages above about 450v. I haven't actually worked with IGBTs so I can't tell you much.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 08-31-2009, 03:45 AM   #2218 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here's a good tutorial on IGBTs. http://www.microsemi.com/micnotes/APT0201.pdf
Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #2219 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's great that the kits are coming out now!

I have already blew my money supply on a new Synkromotive controller (and still waiting for it), and I have a 100 mhz scope on the way, so maybe I will get around to making one this winter vacation, but I just don't have time with classes starting so I had to get the Synkro. My EV has become my daily driver to work/school and my Kelly is quite depressing when it comes to inclines of almost any type.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #2220 (permalink)
PaulH

I heard the synkromotive is very good. I can't wait to hear how you like it! They have a couple features that I want to add like including the precharge resistor inside the controller.

I've been writing GCode the old fashioned way (by hand) for various steps of the controller process. The stepper motor drills very well through the copper bus bars. I think I have enough bus bars drilled for about 7 controllers now. Also, I have about 6 control boards etched. I'm waiting on some mosfets from International Rectifier, waiting on a stupid proper solder tip for my Metcal 500p, then I should be able to whip out 3 controllers as quick as you can say a word that is short.

Now I know what it is like to have chinese political and religious prisoners working for you, just like in China. Having a CNC mill is sort of like that. I just sit there and watch it do everything. It's really fun. Sometimes, the computer says, "Can I stop working?". Then I just punch it right in the head. I'm almost done editing the first video of the milling. I was practicing on a piece of wood, since i've never written gcode before. I'll post the video in a few minutes once it's done.

I nearly forgot! My STK500 broke! I accidentally left it out in the rain. Well, I left it out in the volkswagen, which leaks. Also, I needed to order some more atmega8's since Sabrina added them to the website. So, I ordered the cheapo version of the programmer. This one is only $35 instead of the $78 for the stk500! It's called an AVRISP2 I think. It better work good or I'm going to be mad.

I was going to improve the gcode process, but right now I can't think straight very well, since I ate a whole bunch of costco cookies, and I feel really sick.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 08-31-2009 at 09:07 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread